Tracking Software review

emiller at SMTPGWY.ISINET.COM emiller at SMTPGWY.ISINET.COM
Thu May 8 09:53:12 EDT 1997

     I have been using Interse (which has been bought by Microsoft and is
     now known as Usage Analyst) for about six months now.  With that
     program, you import the log files into a database.  You can then
     restrict which pages, or sections or subdirectories you would like to
     analyze.

     We posted some special pages for a marketing campaign and were able to
     of pages retrieved and all that sort of thing (plus information based
     on the domain from the IP addresses) for just the pages involved.

     I am hoping to test Web Trends as well for its capabilities in light
     of the new version.  Once I get a chance to report, I will.

     Elisa Miller                            "Whatever you can do or
     Institute for Scientific Information    dream you can, begin it.
     3501 Market Street                      Boldness has genius, power
     Philadelphia, Pa 19104                  and magic in it."
     (215)386-0100 x 1395                                   Goethe
     emiller at isinet.com
     URL - http://www.isinet.com

Subject: Re: Tracking Software review
Author:  dwinells at vmsb.csd.mu.edu at INTERNET
Date:    5/7/97 4:49 PM

I saw the article in IW, as well, but haven't had time to read it yet.  Our
library doesn't have its own web server, so we have a subdirectory off the
very large campus web server.  We'd like to get more detailed stats than
the ones made available from our webmaster.  Right now we can only see how
many hits our pages receive and nothing more.  I'd like to get some log
analysis software, but don't know much about running it when you only want
to analyze one portion of the server.  Does anyone have any experience
doing this and any software recommendations?

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library, Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141