EReserves Acrobat PDFWriter distribution?

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Thu May 8 13:25:47 EDT 1997

Re: Obtaining permission from Adobe to distribute PDFWriter printer->PDF
    "printer drivers" to our university staff, for EReserves...

I have gotten no further answers from Adobe themselves, but I have
recieved mails from other ppl who wanted to do the same and have
concluded that Adobe requires institutions to buy a copy of Acrobat for
each user they want to have the PDFWriter software.

I guess what we will end up doing here is have a computer set up with several
common applications teachers use to print the documents they put on Reserves
and convert the files ourselves. This, however, will surely lead to headaches
involving file sizes, font hunting, and version and platform conflicts:

   "I have a word processor file which i made in my computer 'A', with font
   file 'B', made on this app 'C'..."

We might end up not having one or more of the above "A", "B" and "C".
Basically we need to have a common suite of Apps and Fonts which will
reduce headaches. Office 97 might cover most of our needs, but we need
to find out what other 'rogue' apps are out there.

As a last resort, that which we can't print to PDF directly we can OCR
with Capture from a paper version of those documents...

_ alejandro garza _________________ __ _ _  _    _
  ITESM Centro de Informacion-Biblioteca Monterrey
  agarza at campus.mty.itesm.mx
_ http://www-cib.mty.itesm.mx/ ____ __ _ _  _    _