A non-hoax e-mail transmitted virus

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri May 23 14:19:36 EDT 1997

Web4Libbers,

I don't recall seeing information about this virus come across the group
before.  I snipped the info from our RU Network Admin group.  Thought there
might be some interest, and at the very least I thought I should share the
information here.  Let me also add that the alert finishes with statements
that this is not a prevalent form of attack at this time.

The entire file resides at:
http://mssg.rutgers.edu/langroup/online/general/mcafeepress.htm

8<x-----------SNIPPITY SNIP----------------x
For an in depth look at ShareFun visit McAfee:
http://www.mcafee.com/support/techdocs/vinfo/v3333.html

MCAFEE DISCOVERS SHAREFUN VIRUS; FIRST MACRO VIRUS TO AUTOMATICALLY EMAIL
ITSELF TO UNSUSPECTING VICTIMS

SANTA CLARA, CALIF. (February 24, 1997) -- McAfee, the world's leading
vendor of anti-virus software, today announced that its Anti-Virus
Emergency Response Team (AVERT) has discovered the first macro computer
virus to specifically target users of Microsoft's popular Microsoft Mail
(MS-Mail) email software. The virus, which is called ShareFun, searches
through a user's email directory and automatically generates and transmits
email messages with virus-infected attachments.

"ShareFun is the first macro virus to commandeer an electronic mail program
and use that program to accelerate its own spread," said Jimmy Kuo,
director of McAfee's Anti-Virus Response Team. "The virus is especially
pernicious in that it tricks its recipients into believing they were sent
the file by a trusted friend."

 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114