Private Search Engines anyone?

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at mail.dom.de
Sat May 17 21:16:11 EDT 1997

Hi,

I wonder whether anybody here has been using htdig for
a while? I am reviewing possibilities for making a
large site with a couple virtual servers searchable.

While htdig seems to be very powerful (judging from the
feature descriptions at htdig.sdsu.edu) it also seems to
need a lot of tweaking and fiddling (...judging from the
postings on the htdig mailing list...).  The compilation
and installation on a Linux machine eventually was
ok and the first tests I performed were promising.

So I would be interested if anybody here is using
htdig (and, in comparison, excite or altavista)
 and is willing to share the experiences. Also, if you
are aware of some more free useful tools for making
a moderate-size site searchable, I would be interested
in any pointers to or comments on these.

TIA,
Ulrich

 Ulrich Babiak
 Dipl.-Netzer ;-)