software migration

CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu
Sat May 17 13:04:41 EDT 1997

Our reference area contains 6 public access 486 PCs
with 8mb RAM.  They are currently runnning Windows 3.1,
Netscape 2.* ,  some UT System Libraries proprietary
database search software, and they are connected to the
campus LAN via TCP/IP.

MY CONCERN:
The University of Texas Electronic Information Programs
Office is about to upgrade our database interface to
an application which uses JAVA.  I am interested in
upgrading our PCs to 16 mb RAM and loading WIN95 and
Netscape 3.* so they we may enter the fray of 32 bit
applications.  Though I don't see this as too formidable
a task, I would like to begin a correspondence with someone
who had done a similar project.  I hope that by doing so I will
aviod a few pitfalls and  not-so-obvious "shouldn't do's".

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has completed
or is in the process of a similar project.

Thanks you,

Caroline Allen Higgins
Library Systems Coordinator
The University of Texas at Tyler