Organizing web searching for kids

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Tue May 13 22:33:06 EDT 1997

Despite the body counts, one positive aspect of the "filter wars" has
been a consensus that librarians should be developing tools for guiding
the public toward the material they seek. Here's one prototype presented
for your approval:
	Kid's Search Tools  http://www.rcls.org/ksearch.htm
This is based on our "regular" search tool page of forms from the major
search engines (http://www.rcls.org/search.htm), which in turn was
lifted from InfoPeople's (BPL's) Search Tool page:
	http://infopeople.berkeley.edu:8000/src/srctools.html

The Kid's Search Tool page inculdes input boxes for Yahooligans,
Librarian's Index to the Internet, Magellan (Green-Light sites),
Berit's Best Sites for Children, and Fledge Sleuth. [I tried to add
Pathfinder's Kid-Safe sites, but Pathfinder's search paths were too
torturous for my patience.] If anyone knows of any other search tools
that are child-appropriate, I'd like to hear of them.
Note that this has not yet been presented to the public. Note also that
searches take you to the search engine site; in the case of Magellan,
further searches can be done with the Green-Light button off. Finally,
note that I put a link at the bottom to the regular search page.

			Jerry Kuntz
			Electronic Resources Consultant
			Ramapo Catskill Library System
			jkuntz at rcls.org