magazine: web developer

emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com
Mon May 5 14:40:02 EDT 1997

     Cori --

     Here is a rundown of the various Web-related publications as far as I
     can tell (and I read most of them).

     WebWeek -  Weekly (now) "newspaper" that covers the business of the
     Web. Includes breaking news, and many sections: Marketing & Commerce,
     Intranet World, Software, Industry, and some good departments. From
     Meckler Publications. For details:  www.webweek.com

     Web Developer - also from Meckler.  Bi-monthly. Lots of good articles,
     interviews and software/hardware comparative articles and reviews.
     good tips and tricks, and good columns. www.webdeveloper.com/

     Web Techniques - From Miller Freeman. Monthly) A little more technical
     that Web Developer. Includes good basics, also program listings. May
     be a little heavy-duty of you are not a programmer. Graphics guru
     Lynda Weinman writes monthly column. www.webtechniques.com

     WebMaster magazine - from the publishers of CIO (monthly) - very much
     an executive's guide to the Web in business, although it contains many
     articles on issues relevant to anyone managing a web site. Check out
     articles on www.web-master.com/

     ZD Internet Magazine - from Ziff Davis. (Monthly) Good, solid, web
     generalist publication. Competes directly with Meckler's Internet
     World, as far as I can tell. Good product reviews, solid features.  I
     like the monthly web site makeover.  www.zdimag.com

     Internet World - From Meckler.  (monthly) I think this was really one
     of the first publications that came out covering web issues that was
     not just a listing of cool web sites.  I still like it. Includes good
     columns along with features that do reflect current Web issues.
     www.iw.com

     I know this is more information than you requested, but I thought some
     other folks in this list might like to know what's out there... One
     the other hand, I expect that others have stronger feelings about some
     of these publications than I do.

     Before you subscribe to any of them, I would suggest you check out the
     Web sites and look at the various tables of contents.  You should be
     able to tell by the TOC whether a publication is right for you.  Good
     luck.

     Elisa Miller                            "Whatever you can do or
     Institute for Scientific Information    dream you can, begin it.
     3501 Market Street                      Boldness has genius, power
     Philadelphia, Pa 19104                  and magic in it."
     (215)386-0100 x 1395                                   Goethe
     emiller at isinet.com
     URL - http://www.isinet.com