Broken Images

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Mar 26 14:01:31 EST 1997

> From: Dan Johnston <djohnsto at library.berkeley.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: Broken Images
> Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 1:51 PM
>
> Can you elaborate a little on this scaling problem? While I have
> experienced various stalls and crashes that I'd like to understand, I
> didn't realise that Netscape (for example) performs any scaling function,

> at least for bitmapped images - I thought I always see them 1:1, that is,

> one screen pixel for one image file pixel, even though I gather the image

> files for jpeg and gif do contain scaling information.
>
>  -Dan Johnston
>   djohnsto at library.berkeley.edu

If your image is 500 pixels by 500 pixels, but your IMG tag has "height=250
width=250" attributes, Netscape, MSIE, and probably a number of other
browsers will scale the displayed image to fit the specified dimensions.
This is arguably a mild abuse of the height and width attributes, and there
isn't any guarantee that all browsers will honor those attributes when they
disagree with the actual image, but that's what's going on.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu