Help! Links w/Lynx don't work

Wilfred Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Tue Mar 18 14:56:21 EST 1997

Thomas Dowling wrote:

> [Quoting Andrea Duda]
> > >
> > >...Apparently Netscape can handle URLs that are split across two
> lines, but
> > >Lynx cannot.  When I edited the page so that URLs were on a single
> line,
> > >Lynx was able to connect to all the search engines without a
> problem...
> >

> This suggests to me that Lynx is being somehow deficient in handling
> URLs with white space in them.  The URL specification uses the term
> "unsafe" for difficult characters like a space, rather than "illegal"
> or "forbidden".  The spec says that all unsafe characters must be
> encoded, but it doesn't offer any guidance on how to handle URLs that
> include them anyway.  Since most host operating systems are capable of
> managing files with spaces in their names,

I looked at the code mentioned.  It wasn't because of spaces in the file
names.  It is because of line breaks and end of lines in the URL.  Also,
besides Windows 95 and MacOS, what operating systems in general use
allow spaces in files names?  Even Windows 95 doesn't really allow such
names, it actually uses a sort of cross reference to those names.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Systems Librarian (also reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm