HTML editor

Grace Garbe ggarbe at erols.com
Mon Mar 17 11:13:10 EST 1997

At 09:07 PM 3/16/97 -0800, DR A N MALPANI wrote:
>Can anyone suggest a program which will automatically
>convert text files into HTML, which we can then
>publish on our web-site ?

        I recently spent some time evaluating 5 different packages that
convert text to HTML.  I used five different documents in the evaluation.
Three were over 60 pages in length, contained footnotes, table of contents,
tables, and flowcharts.  The only package that succesfuly converted
everything, plus linked the TOC to the interior contents and linked the
footnotes to the appropriate spot in the body of the document was Web
Publisher from SkiSoft.  Web Publisher wil convert AmiPro; Word 2,6,7;
WP6.1; RTF; Framemaker; and Excel spreadsheets.  Runner up was HTML Transit.
These are both around $495, but well worth it if you are going to have any
graphics to convert.  For simple documents done in Word you can probably get
by with MS Internet Assistant (free from MS).  MSIA will also convert text
files; RTF; and WP 5.x and 6.x.  Corel WordPerfect Suite 7.0 will convert
ASCII text; RTF; Word 6 and 7; Ami Pro 1.2, 2.0, 3.0; and WP files.  Corel
will not convert flowcharts and other graphics, however.  All were easy to
use.  The one package I do not recommend is Word To Web from Solutionsoft.

Grace Garbe
Librarian/Web Assistant