Lawsuit for control of url?

Edward Wigg e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Fri Mar 14 17:03:08 EST 1997

At 11:59 AM 3/14/97 -0800, Isobel Stark <lisias at ukoln.ac.uk> wrote:

>It's not an urban legend, it's true, sad to say.  Not as much hoha over
>here about as I thought, just lots of serious, worried, expressions of
>concern. That said it has been covered by all major print and broadcast
>media players.

The case is real, but there is no final resolution: the restraining order is
temporary, until the case actually goes to trial later this year. It should
also be pointed out that the complaint of copyright infringement hangs more
on the headlines which were used as the links rather than the URLs themselves.

You may read about this (among other places) in the archives of comp.risks-
try: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/18.81.html#subj10

For the positions of the two sides you should look at:
http://www.shetland-times.co.uk/ and http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/

I hope this helps.

Edward
Edward Wigg                      "Just another guy, you know?"
Evanston Public Library             e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Evanston, Illinois