20 years? Who cares? And WHY do they care?

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Fri Mar 7 20:39:16 EST 1997

I don't care if librarians will be around in 20 years.  And NOT
just because I'll probably be retired.  It just plain doesn't
matter what they call us.  My wife, a special libn and web
page creator,etc, hardly touches books.  Nor do I.  BUT
according to employer she's no longer a librarian....she's an
Information Research Analyst.  She doesn't mind, as it
moved her up two pay grades (about $500 a month).  So now
she gets paid like an engineer (not a top level one, but an
engineer).

I don't even care if we're working in libraries, at home,
whatever.  I'm not predicting the demise of libraries, but it
sure wouldn't surprise or anger me.  The JOB is providing the
right info to the right user at the right time.  And most users
want it RIGHT and want it NOW and they want it WHERE
THEY ARE.  And, that is what I HOPE we're all doing, or
working towards.  If no one walks in this building, it wouldn't
bother me, as long as we were doing our job....and delivering
the product/service to the users we're supposed to serve.

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.