[ Re: Web 4 special libraries]

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Thu Mar 6 21:24:29 EST 1997

[begin soapbox]

I do agree with EPadilla. Web4Lib is a superior resource specifically
devoted to the topic of Web technology adaptation to informational &
library applications. It is NOT a type-of-library list. Nor does it
attempt to be. But that's like expecting a major cataloging-topic or
list to break up into special libraries, academic libraries, etc. You
CAN do it, but look at the critical mass you lose.

A list-user would be hard-put to find ANY place with a greater
concentration and expertise on this topical application.  Nor any
greater resource than the fantastic collection assembled by Roy Tennant
& the Berkeley staff. Yeah, we can all go off and assemble our little
subspecialty lists. But can these "littler lists" deliver the kind of
access and expert correspondent assembled on Web4Lib?  look at the
hypertext-linked and searchable archive, and lall the other topical
resources.

[end of rant]

-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D./Oregon State
Library/perez at opac.state.or.us/503-378-4243
The Librarian's Caveat: We have not succeeded in answering all your
questions. Indeed, we sometimes feel we have not completely answered any
of
them. The answers we have given only serve to raise a whole set of new
questions. In some ways you are as confused as ever, but we believe you
are
confused on a much higher level and about more important things .