FW: Staten Island Porn on the Internet, Part II -Reply

Tim Mallory tmallory at timberland.lib.wa.us
Thu Mar 6 11:27:52 EST 1997

Now, let's not all get off into a fit of denigrating each other's
newspapers.  The SF Chronicle is the best-selling paper in the Bay Area,
which has around 6,000,000 population.  Parochial it ain't.  BUT those who
read the Chron fully expect sex and gossip, and on the front page, too.  I
have a (factually unsupported) feeling that an article about porn in the
library would cause far fewer ripples in the BAy Area than an editiorial
on publically-funded smut would on Staten Island.
  Several papers in SW Washington have covered access to
parentally-unacceptable materials in our regional library system, with
varying results.  It's the editor, and the audience more than the content
of the article that determines the color of the "hue and cry".  IMHO,
we should not all get our shorts in a knot. The publicity generally plays
into the hands of the library - I recollect the old saw from Hollywood
about any publicity is good publicity (undoubtedly quoted incorrectly :{})
  At least we know someone cares.
   -  the reprobate -

*Tim Mallory, Reference Librarian, Timberland Regional Library           *
*Aberdeen Library               Voice:   360-533-3937                    *
*121 E. Market St.                FAX:   360-532-2953                    *
*Aberdeen, WA  98520-5292      e-mail:   tmallory at timberland.lib.wa.us   *
*[__%\__"round and round goes the wind"  ecclesiastes i:6__%\__]))))}}>>>*