Tool for creating thumbnail graphics archive?

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Mar 6 09:44:29 EST 1997

You may want to look at a project called "Borealis" we've been working here
in CWRU on-and-off.  It is a free image collection management system that
includes the automatic generation of thumbnails.  It also includes a
watermarking feature to assert ownership over images (this part may or may
not be useful to you).  From the project description:

  The Borealis image server is intended to address the need for creating a
  central place to store large numbers of images. The system itself is
  composed of widely available resources and could be easily reproduced at
  other sites at very little expense. The use of well-established standards
  ensures compatibility with existing Web servers and browsers. In situations
  where an institution wishes to put large numbers of images on-line, the
  advantages of such a system should be obvious.

Version 2.0 is currently in development and will include a collection
administration system via web pages, support for (in fact, reliance on) the
PNG graphics format, a basic serach engine (via Harvest).  We expect to roll
it out this spring.  The URL for the project is:

  http://borealis.cwru.edu/

Hope this helps...

Peter

--