updating a 'what's new' page

Heinrich C. Kuhn kuhn at mpg-gv.mpg.de
Thu Mar 6 09:13:34 EST 1997

Dear Linda Robinson, dear web4lib.ers,

   first of all: please accept my apologies if this here
mail should arrive a little late: we've got some of those
"technical problems" here today ... .

> I'm wondering if anyone has a good procedure for keeping track of what to
> put on a what's new page.

No really good procedures to offer, but something on medium
good ones perhaps:
a)   Present situation: most new or changed entries on our
     "list-of-links-to-stuff-pages" have tags that show their
     date of entry/update. In addition to this on days on
     which new entries/updates are made (i.e. a lot of non-
     weekend days ...) I make a *summary* of new/changed entries
     on our what's new page ("12 entries added to A, 3 entries
     updated in B, new document C [report on D] added to our
     site ..."). (Our users asked us *not* to be sent email
     reporting about changes ... .)
b)   Future situation (from summer onwards, hopefully): We
     intend to switch most of our stuff over to a database
     and have a search-interface that permits users to
     retrieve information on all changes/additions that happened
     since this-or-that-day concerning this-or-that-area-of-our-
     site.

I hope to read about (even [;-^] ) better solutions than ours on
web4lib in response to your query.

Regaqrds

Heinrich C. Kuhn
*  Dr. Heinrich C. Kuhn   (coordinator libraries)
*  Max-Planck-Gesellschaft / Generalverwaltung IIb3
*  Postfach 10 10 62
*  D-80084 Muenchen
*
*  voice: +49-89-2108 1563