"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Tue Mar 4 15:57:56 EST 1997

Joel Rosenfeld wrote:

Careless selection practice has always involved over-reliance on the
reputation of the publisher. That is why librarians feel betrayed when
reputable publishers put out "junk". That is why we have to be reminded
about the valuable publications from small presses. This problem is not
new with the Internet, it just becomes more pervasive.

Joel Rosenfeld
Rockford Public Library          Just my opinion - not library policy.

     As we can see from the misleading CBS report (which I didn't see),
     "reputable" media outlets are not to be always trusted. [Especially
     given the tabloid nature of all network news these days..JonBenet,
     need I say more]. Many have pointed out over the years the highly
     inaccurate nature of newspapers like the New York Times and of course
     everybody, of all political stripes, complains about media bias.

     The same observations can be applied to the web. Sites that you think
     would be reliable may not be and somebody's home page may be the most
     accurate thing around.

     This just underscores the need for folks to develop some critical
     thinking skills. Surf the web with your brain engaged.

     Chuck Munson