Panorama and SGML

Thomas Dowling tdowling at OHIOLINK.edu
Tue Mar 4 14:46:45 EST 1997

> >There is a difference between Panorama Pro and the viewer you can
download
> from
> >their site.
>
> No kidding  ;-)

Namely a major release of the software.  Nothing on SoftQuad's site
suggests that they're about to update the free viewer.

>   They are trying to generate revenue in order to support more
> >development - like all other software firms - and we talked at
length about
> >their pricing model.  But I would caution against deciding about the
product
> >based on experience with only their "free, downloadable" viewer.  It
is a
> niche
> >product - designed to provide the ability to view SGML - but it does
not have
> >the flexibility of their Panorama Pro product.

SoftQuad also wishes to be seen as a force for SGML evangelism, which
makes it incumbent on them to make any product they offer easy to
install and use.  They could take a few lessons from people like
RealAudio, Adobe, and Shockwave whose freeware offerings remain current
with their commercial products, and which have proven very successful
at driving both their sales and the visibility of streaming audio, PDF,
and Shockwave animation on the net.

> I'm still waiting to hear about another SGML viewer to come on the
market,
> myself.

Have you talked to Open Text lately about SGML *indexing* software?
:-\

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu