Java Telnet

Rod Miller rmiller at wyld.carl.org
Mon Mar 3 12:03:55 EST 1997

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Wilfred (Bill) Drew Jr. wrote:

> Shaken Angel wrote:
> >
> > The Java Telnet app can be found at
> > http://www.first.gmd.de/persons/leo/java/Telnet/ .
> >
> > Initial experimentation on the machine in my office has it looking pretty
> > slick.
> >
> > -- john f., miami university library systems
>

> I really like this applet too.  The biggest problem with it is that
> unless you can get the java proxy stuf to work it can only access the
> same machine as the http server is on.  This makes it not really
> appropriate for us since our library system does not have a web server
> on it nor willit ever have one for security reasons.
>
> What is really needed is a plugin that would run when a telnet URL is
> selected.  I'm really surprised no one has done that yet.

Wilfred,

Somebody has, that is released a supported, configurable, java
Telnet plugin that allows connecting to VTxxx, TN3270, and
soon other legacy systems (AS400).  It's called WebTerm
from White Pines Software (www.wpine.com).  I have tried the
demo, and am awaiting a 30-eval. of the Jave Admin kit,
and Toolbox that is part of the bundled package.

-Rod Miller
Wyoming State Library
rod at will.state.wy.us

 --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Systems Librarian (also reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> Internet: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU  Cooltalk:drewwe at 136.204.83.8
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
> Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
> LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
> SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm