downloading

Michael Stephens m.stephens at gomail.sjcpl.lib.in.us
Wed Mar 19 07:36:18 EST 1997

>Our library is about to offer public internet access and would appreciate
>advice from other libraries about the pros and cons of allowing  patrons
>to download information to floppy discs.  I have searched the archives
>already and found some good information but am looking for specifics
>about things like virus problems and ways to prevent them, whether to
>allow patrons to bring in own discs or have the library provide/sell them,
>etc. Thank you.
>Julie Levang
>Duluth Public Library

At St. Joe County, we allow patrons to bring in disks to use on our Mac
Internet stations. Of course, the Macs can save as Mac or IBM text files,
graphics (gif, jpg) can also be saved to either types of disks. They can
also buy a 3.5" disk for $2 at the return desk.

Virus software is on each machine and it is periodically used to scan the
Macs. I really cannot recall anytime a virus has been found on one of the
Internet terminals.

Email me privately with questions! :)

M.

Michael Stephens                         219/282-4616
Reference & Information Services / Audio Visual Interim Head
St. Joseph County Public Library         http://www.sjcpl.lib.in.us
304 S. Main Street
South Bend, IN 46601

Internet Class Info:http://sjcpl.lib.in.us/homepage/Reference/classes.html

Mike's Librarian's Resources WWW Page:
http://www.cl-sys.com/mstephens/HomePage/Library.html

"All I ever wanted...was to know that you were dreaming...."