Damage caused by Hand-held scanners

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 26 15:01:21 EDT 1997

One of the interesting digitizers out there now is Minolta's "Epic 3000".
(Maybe it's Epic 5000.)   It takes an image from above, and corrects for
spine curvature in the pages...  You don't have to try to hold a book
flat, and there is no abrasion.   This might be one of the better routes
to digitizing manuscripts.

If the spine curvature thing isn't an issue, then a medium-high quality
digital camera  (not one of those $200-500 units...think $800 to 2,000)
on a photographer's copy stand might be more affordable.  There are
foldable copy stands.

Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu
Tech Services 				voice: 218-726-6546
UMD Library				fax:   218-726-8019