selecting a search engine for a library web site

John R. Little jrl at acpub.duke.edu
Wed Jun 25 16:32:00 EDT 1997

I recommend Webinator
<http://www.thunderstone.com/webinator/>.  There is a
Windows NT version as well as UNIX and Linux.  I found it
very easy to set up.  The documentation is good.  There is a
support listserv which is monitored by the company and
on which the technicians are very responsive.  All this for
the freeware version which is the version I use.

Searches can be limited by ranking and by proximity within
paragraphs, sentences, lines, pages, etc.  Basic truncation
is allowed. Results can be viewed by relevance, with search
terms highlighted, by showing the linkages to the results
page from the indexed site, or in context with relevant
results.

The only major limitation I can think of is that the free
version will index no more than 10,000 pages in any single
search database.  But that is quite a lot and there is no
limit on the number of databases created. The commercial
version is not too expensive and has no page limit.

I also just noticed from the Webinator site that they will
index your site for you, like AltaVista.  The documentation
indicates that your site will be reindexed every 30 days.

--John
  John R. Little       Web Developer/Systems Librarian
  Perkins Library * Duke University * Durham, NC
  VOICE: (919) 660-5932    Email: john.little at duke.edu
              http://www.duke.edu/~jrl/