selecting a search engine for a library web site

Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 25 12:26:00 EDT 1997

     The UCSD science libraries use Verity, which was mentioned by someone
     from the Verity company earlier in this thread.  To be frank, it took
     a while to get it running, but now it seems to be stable and working
     well.  I'm confident that it indexes our pages correctly, and the
     rankings it produces seem sensible.  I'm not thrilled about the look
     of the results page, but I don't think we purchased the
     latest/greatest version.

     Our campus-wide Web site started out with Verity, but found that to
     get it to run well, we would need to invest a whole bunch more money
     to upgrade the version we had.

     SO, the campus site now uses Alta Vista as its search engine - they
     have programmed search box that automatically adds in a string to any
     user's search, something like +host:ucsd.edu   so that it only
     searches our sites.  The advantage of this is that we don't have to
     pay Alta Vista big dollars for this, and it searches all the servers
     at UCSD, not just the library servers.  If you only want a specific
     server searched, you can specify that in the string you use - eg,
     host:scilib.ucsd.edu.

     The BIG disadvantage is that we have no real control over when Alta
     Vista re-indexes us.  We can ask them to re-index us, but they don't
     have to comply.  We routinely find entries in Alta Vista searches left
     over from last summer.  When you follow the link, of course you get
     the current page, but it may not have those "keywords" on it anymore.
     Worse, if you've done ANY reorganization of your pages, the link from
     Alta Vista may be broken.

     If you have the money to spend on a real internal search engine like
     Verity or the others mentioned, I would recommend it - although our
     programmer might have a different opinion.  Having control over when
     your site is re-indexed is worth the aggravation of having to keep the
     search engine running.  The Alta Vista approach is a good alternative
     though, especially if you don't make changes to file names or
     directories very often.

     Jenny Reiswig
     Biomedical Library
     University of California, San Diego