Corporate Intranet Search Engines

Mary T. Panek PanekMT at utrc.utc.com
Wed Jun 25 11:02:11 EDT 1997

I have some questions regarding corporate intranet search engines.  Does
anyone have any experience in more of the non-technical aspects
(corporate cultural issues or political issues) of implementing an
intranet search tool?  I am interested in finding out any "lessons
learned" or "how-to's".

 - Did you ask permission from the owners of the information to index
their website(s), or did you assume that since it was on an intranet it
lends itself to being indexed?

 - If you did ask permission, what level of approval was acceptable
(manager, vice-president)?  And how did you identify all of the owners?

 - If you didn't ask permission, were there any repercussions?

 - What were your greatest hurdles? and how did you overcome them?

We have purchased Verity's Search'97 and plan to implement it across our
corporation.

Mary Panek
United Technologies
Project Manager, I-Net Team