selecting a search engine for a library web site

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Tue Jun 24 12:27:41 EDT 1997

Concerning search engines:

You (and everyone else on this list) are invited to try
a search-engine interface I have developed called
Proteus, which is found at the following URL:

	http://www.thrall.org/proteus.html

Proteus uses JavaScript and allows you to submit
query terms to popular search engines without
retying them.  Another great feature is that it allows
you to manually compare results reported by search
engines.  Also, you can use AltaVista or AltaVista
Advanced, search yellow pages, and a dictionary as
well.  Advance syntax supported too.

At least one other library part of our local network out
here (Middletown, NY) has linked to Proteus, and you're
all welcome to try it yourselves.  Linkage would be
permissible as well; just let me know if you do.  Code
copying is another issue, and I'd prefer linkage.

BTW, you'll need NS Nav 3+ or MS IExp 3+ to access the
page.  NS 2.1 works too.

		Robert J. Tiess
		Library Tech., Webmaster
		rjtiess at juno.com