selecting a search engine for a library web site

Platt, Nina Nina.Platt at state.mn.us
Tue Jun 24 11:57:47 EDT 1997

I did some research when we were looking for a search engine for
the Minnesota Appellate Court Archive site
(http://www.courts.state.mn.us/library/archive/).  The research
resulted in a paper which was published in the Piper Letter at
http://www.piperinfo.com/pl03/search.html (that's PL03 in lower-case).

It includes descriptions and comparisions of Web Search Engine Descriptions

        Basis Webserver
        Excerpt
        Excite
        Folio
        freeWAIS-sf
        Frontpage
        Fulcrum
        Glimpse
        ht://Dig
        Ice
        Isearch
        PL Web
        Swish
        TEAMate
        WebFind/WebIndex (WebSite)

It's from November of 1996 but still of some value, I think.  Hope it helps.

Nina Platt, Librarian
Minnesota Office of the Attorney General
Phone: 612-215-1398
E-mail: nina.platt at state.mn.us