Internet charging (Caution: rambling response)

Jim Rosaschi jimros at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Fri Jun 13 12:26:00 EDT 1997

Greetings:
Peter asked about charging for internet access in public areas.

At Sonoma County (CA.US) library, we are moving toward NOT charging for
public access to computer resources.  We do require payment for printed
output. This approach is also the one we are pursuing in regards to
internet access.

Charging for what the user takes away (if it costs us, in the first
place--charge for paper, but not downloading onto a personal floppy),
seems to us to be an easily justifiable way of allowing access to
automated resources.  We charge for the part of the service expense
which began as a supply item, but which at some point becomes personal
property of the user.

A collection model where internet access is considered to be an
extension of the library's collection seems to make a lot of sense to me
in terms of collection development.

Some would argue that new services can only be introduced within a
budget neutral context--which usually means charges.

Some change meisters are persuasive in leading us to a place where some
confining definition of historic service is what we should do for free, and
any new service, regardless of its "fit" into our overall mission, is a ripe
candidate for both a meter and a payment card box.

The whole access/charge, and information service picture somewhat falls
apart for me when we consider personal communications (personal
e-mail--not document delivery, chats, MUDs, etc).  I don't see how
a 45 minute mindless chat session--or even a libidinous one--fits into our
collection development policy, though it might wedge itself into the
confines of our mision statement.

I will stop here, and save my idle thoughts on chats, e-mail, and games for
another time.

Jim Rosaschi
Sonoma County Library