Cyber Patrol & Disinformation: was Re: Filtering "edu

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Jun 11 15:47:51 EDT 1997

David Burt wrote:
>But this really proves my point.  You've left out the context.  Which
>category is this site being blocked under?  If it's "full nudity",
>you've got a legit gripe.  If it's "controversial issues", it's a red
>herring, since no library would choose to block that category.

     The context: The entire Disinformation site blocked by CyberPatrol for
     unknown reasons, but probably for "political extremism." This is
     pretty clear. We'd have to ask CyberPatrol for more information, which
     I know will be difficult to get. CyberPatrol routinely blocks
     political and controversial sites. This has been proven. I've had two
     sites blocked by CyberPatrol, one of which has since moved to a new,
     unblocked URL, and the other now has its own domain, but the original
     site in the Netherlands remains blocked.

     Sure, a library may not "choose" to block that category, but what if
     someone does the "choosing" for them? Take the recent case of Boston,
     where the mayor decreed that CyberPatrol be installed in the public
     libraries. I'm curious as to how the librarians reacted to that
     mandate. Did the mayor stipulate which filters were to be "enabled?"
     Did the librarians enable all of the filters, just to be safe?

     Chuck