Raising the white flag

Paul Neff pneff at nslsilus.ORG
Wed Jun 11 11:57:10 EDT 1997

Chuck Munson wrote:
>     Well, I think many of would like to talk about "how to" stop
>     censorware from being installed in public libraries. I know that some
>     find this thread annoying, but I also know from the personal messages
>     I've gotten that other find it important to continue with this debate.

I, for one, would be interested in any practical questions or comments on
filter implementation that Ronnie or anyone else would care to post.  I
would also be very interested in practical questions or comments on the
presentation of the filtering/censorship issue to one's user community that
Chuck or anyone else would care to post.  Although I haven't read any pro-
or anti-filtering commentary on this list in a number of days that I thought
was really fresh or insightful, it's obvious to me that the issue's not dead
until nobody posts on the topic, and it's equally obvious to me that there's
room for any number of simultaneous discussion threads on this list,
including the two proposed above.  Why anyone seems to think otherwise is
beyond me.  The only element of this thread I've found to be annoying has
been the propensity of several principal participants to goad one another
and be goaded in return.

  Paul Neff