Electronic Brown Wrappers in special

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Tue Jun 10 17:59:29 EDT 1997

At 01:18 PM 6/10/97 -0700, Charles Crawford wrote:

>I respect Mr. Burt's desire to protect children, but one of the things that
>bothers me about this discussion is rather clearly demonstrated in this
>posting. And that is that Mr. Burt, like a judge watching sexually explicit
>films before ruling on what is or isn't pornography, obviously feels the
>need to spend a certain amount of time cruising these sites, so that he can
>be an informed censor. Am I the only one who senses a certain prurience in
>the continuing need to give examples of the kind of the site that is
>unacceptable, and in this case a rather explicit description provided by Mr.
>Burt?

I really think this discussion needs to move from why we shouldn't
implement filtering to how we can effectively filter.  Yeah, I know, a lot
of you still disagree about filtering programs, but, at some point in the
future, libraries are going to be forced into it.  Wouldn't it be better to
have a plan of action when your city, county, state government or board, or
whatever entity is in control of your library comes to inform you that you
have to filter?  Yeah, sure, explain to them that it's censorship or
whatever, but you'll still end up implementing a filtering program.

So, why don't we talk about how to do it the best possible way and not talk
about why we shouldn't do it???

I like David's idea, and although his vision is not attainable at this
time, it may be that we have a representative from CyberPatrol (or some
other software company) lurking in the back ground.  If this person see's
that we (for once) agree on an idea, they may be able to get something in
the works that meets what we are looking for.

So how about it???

Ronnie