electronic brown wrappers

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Sun Jun 8 14:41:35 EDT 1997

So I'm thinking about this whole thread while I'm planting...and I
wonder if it doesn't come down to this: are we uncomfortable being
held graphically accountable for the consequences, ends of
information seeking? Patron asks for supplies of ammonium nitrate
fertilizer...you hand her Wholesalers and Distributors directory
and a chemical buyers guide ..and don't think/know/worry about
the fact that she is planning to assemble a bomb. BUT! someone
sits at one of your Internet stations cheerfully perusing the
Terrorist Handbook...does society? do you yourself? suddenly feel
that libraries and librarians are responsible for the patron's *mind*?
Thirteen yr old slips off to the gynecology texts ..what you and
your board don't know doesn't bother you. BUT! same kid is surfing
body parts on your machine...and now you are publically responsible
for hormones? Is this the Internet problem? We have been largely
shielded from the whys/wherefores and whatits of people's information
uses ..and now we are not? Is that what is driving this thread?
Intense professional squirming?