Electronic Brown Wrapper: Hustler via ILL

Hal hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
Fri Jun 6 14:15:23 EDT 1997

Ok this was just too good to pass up....so I will charge in with sword flailing.

Mr. Burt said:
"We let users choose which
library materials are appropriate for them, but we have always
restricted those choices.  That's part of our jobs, that's what they pay
us for."

Mr. Burt said:
"I would not fill an ILL request for the NAMBLA newsletter or
the Fun with Animals Times."

Mr. Burt said:
"Weak analogies.  Where is "Debbie Does Dallas" in OCLC?"

So first I'd like a clarification....especially since I work in an academic
library....is it within the right of a public library to refuse to acquire
an item thru ILL if they come to you with a valid Firstsearch record?  Is
it standard practice to make such a refusal?
And who are you to decide that I should not be seeing this material?
Generally assuming that you have no idea why I may need it?  According to
the catalog you provide access to (assuming you offer Firstsearch WorldCat)
this item is something I can try and obtain.

So this brings me to my next question(s) how would you handle ILL requests
for the following items

1.  Deep Throat
videotape

2.  Behind The Green Door
videotape

3.  Lorna
 videotape

4.  Jade
 videotape

5.  Babes in Boyland
videotape

6.  Anarchist's Cookbook
book

 7.  Guerrilla's arsenal : advanced techniques for making explosives and
time-delay bombs
book

8.  The use of explosives in making ditches
book

9.  Making cheap explosives
sound cassette

The first 3 are pornographic movies.  #4 is a Hollywood studio movie with
adult themes and violent sexual content.

#5 is a videotape on Women in sports and sexual discrimination.  #6 and #7
are militia-type books on how to build explosives.
#8 has the appearance of having a useful, legitimate purpose which could be
turned into something improper.

#9 is a motivational speech given to members of a training and development
association.  Has actually nothing to do with explosives.

What do these all have in common?  They are ALL in WorldCat. Now we have
only regional holdings information in our WorldCat subscription...so I have
a lack of information on who if anyone actually owns this material.

So I ask the question again....are you going to decide which of these ILL
requests you fill and which you don't?  And if you are, HOW?  Are you going
to research each potentially improper request and only then decide if you
should get the item or not?

Enquiring minds want to know.

>Wow Don, a whole 3 libraries, all of the academic.  This for an
>extremely popular magazine that sells millions of copies.
>Why do you suppose no public libraries are on this list?
>And the real point, how many public libraries would actually fill a
>request for it?

And this passage from Mr. Burt's msg....so what if only 3 academic
libraries have it?  The last time I checked it did not matter how many
libraries carried an item for an ILL request to be processed.  It only
matters whether ONE of these locations actually loans the item out.

Regards,

-hal

Hal Kirkwood
Information Technology Librarian
S.U.N.Y. at Geneseo
Geneseo, NY 14454
716/245-5524
Fax: 716/245-5003
hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
http://137.238.9.12/~hal/hal.html

"I find that sometimes it's easy to be myself"
"and sometimes I find that it's better to be somebody else"
                -Dave Matthews Band