Electronic Brown Wrappers in special libraries

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jun 6 13:59:05 EDT 1997

     Diane said:
>Government employees have to keep constantly in mind that the sysad
>(or the boss) can legally find out anything they do on their pc.
>Video games were taken off our library staff pcs early on (I don't
>think they've figured out what to do about WEB stuff yet).

>For myself, I would love to access sites like the Louvre or home
>shopping but I know it's unethical and verboten.  I'm also scared to
>death when I try to keep up to date and surf in our subject area--
>what if I unknowingly access a site that is forbidden?   Am I making
>some of you happy that you don't work for Uncle Sam?

     Gee, it makes me angry to know that my tax money is wasted on
     enforcing such ludicrous restrictions. How are webmasters and
     librarians employed by the government supposed to learn anything about
     the web? With blinders? I have found that visiting sites irrelevant to
     my work has directly affected the ability to do my work better,
     because I gain an understanding of how "others do it well."

     I heard that recently some fossil of a southern senator was being
     shown the joys of computing by HIS office staff. They showed him some
     games they had on the office computer, so the idiot politician
     responded like a typical fascist and has decided to pass a national
     law banning games on government office computers.

     What a nut! Some will argue that games waste taxpayer money. I would
     argue that the time spent in pointless meetings organized by
     superfluous middle managers wastes far more tax money than some grunt
     playing Minesweeper for 15 minutes.

     Chuck