NT4 and IIS2 access/permissions/security

Michael Dargan darganm at iren.net
Tue Jun 17 11:52:18 EDT 1997

Dan--

> However, we just got a new server at http://www.lili.org/, and
> it is an HP PentiumPro200 with 96mb ram running NT4
> Server.  This is totally new to me and my colleagues.  We're
> also trying MS IIS2.0 on it, as it came on the CD with the
> computer.  We're also hoping to use it to provide some
> interactive database searching with Access97 databases
> we've already got set up.
>
> The problem?  At first, when NT4 was first installed, users
> could hit the web page with no problems.  Then I tried to get
> permissions set right for several of us to access the ftp and
> web servers with passwords and permissions on NTFS.  That
> is when it got messed up, since as of now it appears no one
> can access it but me.  I do have the standard guest account
> set up for the server, something like iuser_lili.  That user has
> permission for local connections and is a member of only two
> groups.  I'm sure there is something basic I'm missing, and
> any suggestions or help appreciated.  Please feel free to
> respond to list or privately.  If I get any answers back privately
> that solve it, I'll share the solutions with the list.

I had the same problem last weekend.  I finally decided to retreat and
regroup.  I reinstalled the server (I had the permissions *way* screwed
up) and decided to do without ftp for now.  Instead, I'm sharing the
webroot to our webmaster's account so she can work from her PC.

I'm shopping for a 2-4 day NT Server training session that would address
needs of librarians.  If you come across one please let me know.

bye

mike