Security for Netscape on Macs

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Mon Jun 2 16:05:49 EDT 1997

Barbara Miller Marson wrote:

> Is there something similiar to Fortress for Macs?  We are using
> Netscape as
> our browser on PowerMacs, and having problems with student changing
> the
> mail configerations, as well as other options.

You can easily prevent the setting from being saved and automatically
restored for the next session by "locking" the Netscape Preferences
files (located in the Netscape folder under the Preferences folder of
the System folder). I have this file and the Bookmarks.html files
locked.

The patron can change the setting if they want to for that session, but
Netscape will not save the setting and the defaults (before locking the
files) will be restored. One downside to this method is that Netscape
will display two errors messages when exiting.

Another method would envolve an AppleScript which would copy the
defaults settings file and bookmark file to the proper directory and
then launch Netscape.

Hope this helps...

--
  Charles A. Summerhill