Security for Netscape on Macs

Peter Farris pfarris at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Jun 2 14:18:18 EDT 1997

We are using a product called Fileguard on our three PowerPCs (two Macs,
one clone). Among other features, Fileguard can declare designated folders
off-limits for designated users. On top of that, I've used ResEdit to
delete Preferences options from the Netscape menu and have set the Netscape
preferences file as read-only; this file is located in the Netscape folder
in the System Folder.

You could also use At Ease for workstation security. The benefit is that At
Ease is included with the Macintosh software. I would still recommend
locking the Netscape prefs file. The URL for Fileguard's manufacturer is
http://www.adsoft.com .

Peter Farris

Email:marson at library.faytech.cc.nc.us

Peter Farris, M.L.I.S. / mailto:pfarris at itsa.ucsf.edu
Information Services Librarian
Barnett-Briggs Medical Library
1001 Potrero Ave., Building 30, San Francisco, CA 94110
vox: 415/206-6639 fax: 415/206-6102
http://sfgh-dean16.ucsf.edu/barnett/plethcom.htm