Systems/Cataloger Position Annoucement

Inga M. Waite IWAITE at shadow.sjcsf.edu
Mon Jun 2 13:57:56 EDT 1997

Greetings!

We have reopened our search for a Librarian to serve as our Systems
Administrator, Webmaster, and Cataloger.  While the job description
may sound daunting, keep in mind that we are very small academic
institution (less than 500 students).  The demands within the three
areas of responsibility are not great.  The Cataloging
responsibilities, for example, entail processing about 2,000 items
per year (fewer records than many large institutions add in
a month).  The work load is varied, interesting, and do-able.

I will be recruiting at ALA in San Francisco, June 27 to July
1, and conducting phone interviews with top applicants who don't plan
to attend.  New Mexico applicants are encouraged to interview
in Santa Fe.  Please email me directly if you have any questions.  A
full job description follows.

JOB TITLE:  Associate Librarian for Systems and Cataloging

NATURE OF DUTIES:  Designs, promotes, and implements library
systems and databases:  runs automated systems and network; diagnoses
software & hardware problems; repairs PCs & Macintoshes; provides
training for library staff in applications; manages Student Computer
Center and the campus Internet connection.  Establishes documentation
and evaluation of cataloging policies and procedures; performs
original and copy cataloging using OCLC; prepares statistical
reports and develops long and short range plans.

SUPERVISION RECEIVED:  Reports to the College Librarian.

SUPERVISION GIVEN:  Supervises cataloging, network and computer
center assistants.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:  Masters Degree in Library Science
from an ALA accredited program.  Two years of automated library
systems and two years of cataloging experience.  Knowledge of AACR2,
MARC formats, LC classification, LCSH, and OCLC.  Knowledge of
DOS, PC Networks, system testing and system debugging.  Ability to
catalog European language materials and knowledge of at least one
foreign language.  Demonstrated supervisory, teaching, communications,
and organizational skills.  Interest and willingness to participate in
ongoing professional training and development.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:  Management of Novell networks
and Internet connections.  Significant original cataloging
experience. Broad liberal arts education or completion of the St.
John's College program and a reading knowledge of ancient Greek and
French.

STATUS:  Exempt, full-time.

COMPENSATION:  $25,709 (min.) to $30,430 (mid) annually, with an
excellent benefits package.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE COLLEGE & LIBRARY:  St. John's
is a four-year, non-sectarian, liberal arts college offering
undergraduate and graduate programs devoted to reading and discussing
the Great Books of Western civilization, and a graduate program in
Eastern Classics.  Classes are small with a student body of 480 and
60 faculty.  The Library has 65,000 volumes, is automated
(Micro-VTLS), fully networked (Novell 3.12), and maintains the
college Internet node and web pages.  The 250 acre campus, at an
elevation of 7,400 feet, is located in the foothills of the Sangre de
Cristo mountains overlooking the city of Santa Fe.

TO APPLY:  Send letter addressing above qualifications, resume and the
names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references
to:  Ted Gonzales, Director of Personnel, St. John's College, 1160
Camino Cruz Blanca, Santa Fe, NM 87501-4599, FAX# (505) 984-6003.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.  Those received
by July 1, 1997 will be given first consideration.  SJC is an
affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.

To find out more about the Santa Fe campus and its programs, visit
our web site at www.sjcsf.edu

Inga M. Waite
College Librarian
St. John's College