Do people "pass by" plain-text sites? -Reply

Steve Cramer scramer at davenport.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:38:29 EDT 1997

>>> Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator
<webguru at gtu.edu> July 30, 1997  12:29 pm >>>
"At the GTU Library we have our public Internet station
configured to load graphics after the rest of the page so
that patrons don't have to wait to start using links.
I find it annoying when I try to connect to a page and have
to wait for a large graphic that I could care less about to
load."
______________________________________

In this situation (loading graphics after the text), it helps if
the HTML designer included HEIGHT and WIDTH
attributes, which makes it unnecessary for the browser to
reload the page when the graphics begin to download
(becuase it already knows how much space each graphic
requires).

One nice thing about WYSIWYG editors is how they
automatically add the width and height for graphics
inserted using the editor. Now if only the editors could
automatically add ALT tags!

Steve Cramer
Davenport College
Holland, Michigan USA