Internet Explorer questions

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:21:37 EDT 1997

Thanks to Norm Reeder of Torrance Public Library for sending me the URL of the
Internet Explorer Admin Kit, which I was unable to find on Microsoft's site.
For anyone else who might have had difficulty, here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/ie/download?/msdownload/ieplatform/ieak/ieak.htm

I should note that you can't get there from here if you set your MSIE security
the way the Windows Sources article I mentioned recommended (i.e., disabling
the "Active Content" settings under View/Options/Security).  You get a message
that your browser does not support frames (I have IE 3.02).  I reactivated the
ActiveX options and got in fine.

Has anyone disabled those options for security reasons and had to deal with
patron questions about getting into a site?  Left them on so you don't have to
deal with that?

I also have a question about telnet with IE.  I saw some questions in the
archives about choosing your own telnet program, but the answers only covered
earlier Windows, not NT4.  I'm still trying to do that - I think it's handled
outside of IE - but my real question is has anyone ever had a problem with
telnet not working at all from within IE?  I type in a URL and it just sits
there.

Telnet still works from the Start menu, and I may have changed something in my
configuration experiments.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org