WinNT for public webstations

elist-web4lib at ircam.fr elist-web4lib at ircam.fr
Sat Jul 26 05:14:30 EDT 1997

Bob Craigmile indicated the procedure Microsoft recommends.  We, on the
other hand, use the Archimed Explorer (which is based on the IE controls)
and which has been developped according to our specifications with security
in mind (I've been a beta tester for Mosaic in kiosk mode used at the
Pompidou Center Public Library).  Among other things:
- the window takes all the screen, can't be resized or closed, and there
  is no access to other windows or applications;
- the upper bar is replaced with a very simple, customizable one, containing
  only buttons to access the main parts of our local server (and a couple
  of buttons to go back and forward)
- users can't save files;
- users can't specify URLs, they can only follow specified URLs.  Moreover,
  there is a control on which URLs are accessible and with which protocols,
  which applies to all outgoing connexions.
- users can't send mail or post news;

In effet, this transforms the PC (running Windows 95, in our case) into
a network computer.  We use it in order to provide access to our local
catalogue and online multimedia, as well as restricted outside Internet
access.

Archimed is a French multimedia software house whose URL is
http://www.archimed.fr/ . I think they sell this browser for something like
350FFrs (which would be 60-70$).

Michael Fingerhut
Director, Multimedia Library