Use and Understanding of Cross-Reference Structures by Users

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Fri Jul 25 16:01:45 EDT 1997

_Use and Understanding of Cross-Reference Structures by Users_

  For my review of 'neo-conventional thesauri that is part of
of a larger review of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in
Databases (KDD) [which I have interpreted in both the technical
sense as well as in a broader philosophical and theoretical
sense, I am am interested in learning of any research that
has documented and/or analyzed the use of syndectic mechanisms
in OPACS or other electronic bibliographic databases by users.

  [For individuals who are not familiar with Data Mining and/or
   KDD, I have established a link to a good review article
   on Data Mining as well as one to _the_ Web clearinghouse
   on KDD at my 4T9R(sm) site. It's accessible at:

      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSRACKS/4T9R.htm   ]

  I am particularly interested in user understanding of these
mechanisms as well as their use for effective searching.
[I have found _ a few_ references from the late 1980s and early
1990s, but no recent [last five years?] studies about
the use of cross-references [e.g. BT, NT, RT,] by users]

    I am also interested in key review papers that document the
value of 'associative' term relationships, other than the
conventional BT/NT/RT structure, for effective retrieval [
I am aware of the work of Steve Pollitt CeDAR at Huddersfield
University with his HIBROWSE and VUSE systems and their
associated applications, as well as that of Tamas Doszkocs at NLM]

    As always, any and all leads, insights, suggestions, comments,
critiques, opinions, attitudes, donations {:->], are most welcome!

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University