public access to academic resources

CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu
Fri Jul 25 12:41:38 EDT 1997

We have six 486 PCs running Windows, Netscape and a
Z client, etc..  We are a Texas academic library, we are
our own internet service provider and we
restrict access to the services provided on these PCs
(this includes proprietary databases and GUI net access) to
use by current faculty, students, and staff.

I am beginning to wonder about the legality of restricting
these services.  We are a public institution and are funded
by state monies.  Our students, however, pay some pretty
heavy access fees as part of their fee bill.

Does anyone know where I can find information about laws
pertaining to the legality of restricing these resources?

TIA,

Caroline Allen Higgins
Reference/Systems/Archives
UT Tyler Muntz Library