Using library card number as Internet login

Tracy Babiasz tbabiasz at ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us
Thu Jul 24 22:34:35 EDT 1997

In preparing for public Internet access, I have been asked to investigate
the possibility of having patrons use their library card number in order
to "login" and open the web browser.  We would like to have the ability
to find out who a user at a particular time was if necessary as well as
have some way of being sure patrons have read our Internet Access
Policy.  The original thought was to have users sign in at a staff desk,
but we wonder if this might not take up staff time and be a hassle for the
patron that could be avoided.  Yes, this means that, at least in the
beginning, we are considering requiring a library card in order to access
the Internet at the library.  That issue aside,  my question to you all is
"how is this done?"  I have looked into the Web4Lib archives, and gathered
SOME info on IP authentication, but not so much on requiring users to
enter their card number and having it checked against the patron database.
What I did see indicated the possibility of a security breach if we did
this.  I'm afraid my Internet experience does not include having done this
before.  Can someone tell me what is required for this process should we
decide to do it and if security is a valid concern?  If anyone has other
thoughts on another way to reach the same goal (ID of users without
signing in), I would love to hear them.  For background purposes, our
system consists of a main library with seven branches, each of which will
provide Internet access using frame relay.  At this time, we expect to be
using Pentiums with Win95.  These PC's may also be using to provide access
to CD products and our catalog through Dynix's WebPac.  I would appreciate
any summary of how this works and advice that you might have--as well as
your patience with what must be a rather simple request for some of you.
Thanks for your help!

Tracy Babiasz, Technology Librarian
Durham County Library
300 N. Roxboro Street