FW: ALA participation -Reply -Reply -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:37:10 EDT 1997

I'm all in favor of experimenting with the newer net services.
However, I'm sure we all face limited time for such things.  A
couple of us here have played with CUSeeMe (or however
they spell/capitalize it), and weren't particularly impressed.
The ability to see the image just wasn't helpful, and it slowed
things down, of course.  This was on internal network, and
not across greater Internet.  Maybe we didn't find image
helpful since we knew what each of us looked like anyway.
To see what others we haven't met look like, it might be
useful, as might simply referring to their pic on a webpage.

We've also played with a couple of whiteboard toys across
internal net, and felt much the same.  They worked.  They
were not very fast.  They weren't intuitively obvious to
nontechies.

All that being said, I'd still love to try some of these things
across the net.  If anyone wants to try some NEXT week, let
me know then.

Also, I can set up a chat board on one of my webservers,
again NEXT week.  The O'Reilly addon to WebSite seems to
do that just fine.

Let me know what others are interested in trying out.

dan