Access

CASTELLUZZO JULIE juliec at cooper.edu
Wed Jul 16 10:01:59 EDT 1997

Hello, everyone.

I usually just lurk, watching out for tech. tips, but do occasionally come
out in the open.  Off-campus access to Internet-based databases is a very
interesting topic (not that censorship/filtering isn't interesting, but I
don't think you need my 2 cents added to THAT one. My delete key is getting
worn out!)

Here at Cooper Union, we currently offer access to one Internet-based
service.  The vendor provides us with the id and password and the Library
is responsible for making sure that it is not misused.

We set up a script which puts in the id and password for the user.  From
our web page, you click on a link to the database service, but the link
actually calls the script.  Because the script is stored in a directory
which is only available to machines with on-campus IP addresses, it won't
work if you are connecting to our page from outside.

Here's how we handle off-campus access: There is a note on the web page
explaining that the link only works on campus, and instructing those who
need off-campus access to contact me.  I ask them to come in and sign up
for off-campus use, then I give them the id and password.  I change the
password periodically so that those who leave the college will no longer
have access.  It may not be foolproof, but it works.

I agree that if we subscribe to a database for the college, then students,
staff, and faculty of the college should have access from home if they
need it.

In the fall we'll be adding another Internet database, but we might have
to handle that one differently.

Stay cool.

Julie Castelluzzo         juliec at cooper.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
The Cooper Union Library  http://www.cooper.edu/facilities/library.html

(snip)
> Is it possible for university staff and students to access these services
> when not at a campus computer with university IP address?
>
> The vendors say that we (university staff and students) cannot access the
> product from our off campus homes or offices.
>
> I think that if our library pays $50,000 for access to a major vendor's
> product that members of the university community should be allowed remote
> access.

(snip)