New IE beta available.

Ed & Margaret embier at netgate.net
Tue Jul 15 21:59:33 EDT 1997

I tried an earlier version of IE4 and it was pretty cool, although I had to
delete it after about the 10th time my computer crashed.  I'm sure the
newer beta is bug free--- yeah right!!!! :)  I personally like being a
guinea pig for Microsoft.

There are some very nice features.  A url checker that runs in the
background and tell you when a page has changed.  I particularly liked the
search window which allows you to do a search in the engine of your choice
on the left frame and click on links that will appear on the right.  So I
can keep my query on Lycos, excite, or yahoo on one side and check out
pages on the right.

The thing that is a bit disturbing is, as noted, how much this program
takes over your machine.  Your browser and desktop become one.  Even the
window files you open suddenly look like browser windows. In the version I
tried there is a nice icon on the desktop that constantly reminds you that
you are under the care of Microsoft and its wonderful browser.

Not to be totally a Microsoft basher, I do use IE more than Netscape--- I
find arranging my many many bookmarks easier with it.  It is slower in
calling up pages on my machine than Netscape and really hates any "pure"
Java scripts so it just stops working--- go figure!  Woops, bashing again!!

A great manager for your IE bookmarks and for translating bookmarks between
the two top browsers try a freeware program called "short-cut assitant" by
Preston Werntz....
http://www.vais.net/~pwerntz

bye,

Ed Bierman
San Jose State Student page:ng.netgate.net/~embier/slis.html

Home page: ng.netgate.net/~embier/
Web Servant: www.sonic.net/~cnh