Access

Kathy Wheeler kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:14:21 EDT 1997

Lissa Lord wrote:

> The University of Iowa Libraries are assessing several major information
> products available via the Internet.
>
> My question to web4lib:
>
> Is it possible for university staff and students to access these services
> when not at a campus computer with university IP address?

Our university uses MCI's Internet provider, and our student's and
faculty have access to products that are limited by university IP
address because as I understand it, when they sign up for an account
they are given a university IP address. Now we do have problems with
people who don't use that ISP. I don't, for example, because the
price includes only 60 hrs of Internet access a month and I probably
use the Internet more than that if you add in my husband's and my
son's times.

> The vendors say that we (university staff and students) cannot access the
> product from our off campus homes or offices.
>
> I think that if our library pays $50,000 for access to a major vendor's
> product that members of the university community should be allowed remote
> access.
>
> Why can't a password and ID sign-on system work?

I think vendors are afraid someone who doesn't have access will get a
password and ID, but I think if a vendor is going to expect a
university to pay huge prices like what you're talking about, they
should be willing to provide that access to the entire university
community whether they are at home or on campus. It seems to me that
vendors have only dealt with one side of the Internet -- they've
looked at how to provide there databases, but they haven't really
looked at who they'll be providing them to. A good portion of those
clients wants access from home.

Kathy Wheeler        kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Electronic Services       THAT'S JAGUAR ONE!
Library                      (334) 460-7025
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL  36688