How do you research new products?

Bill Manson MVLC (508) 475-7632 manson at mvlc.lib.ma.us
Tue Jul 15 17:07:19 EDT 1997

Beth,

We at MVLC are just starting down a very similar road.
We are a Geac Plus consortium of 28 public libraries.
Like you, we've come to the conclusion that it makes
sense to investigate multiple vendors' products.  We
started by looking at the Hywebcat site out of the
University of Saskatchewan.  Their vendor index makes
it possible to look at a wide range of implementations
of many vendors' products.  The problem is that most of
these are native mode, i.e. they are front ending their
own host based product.  Like you, we're going to be
interested in what their product looks like when it
deals with our database and how it compares with the
functionality that our integrated system vendor can
provide.  What that means is that we're going to need
to go through the usual marketing bumpf, the
conversations with sales reps and finally some
demonstrations.  I expect that we'll be asking the
contenders to come in with their product, set it up
with our database as a target in their product and then
make their product spit nickles.  (I'm kinda looking
forward to that since I spent the last eight years
selling systems.)

We're going to actively start the process very soon.
We've done some preliminary investigations and have
received approval from our membership to begin the
exploration in earnest.

Bill Manson
Executive Director
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium