Access

Real Rodrigue rodrigue.real at uqam.ca
Tue Jul 15 14:44:16 EDT 1997

Lissa Lord wrote:

> The University of Iowa Libraries are assessing several major
> information
> products available via the Internet.
>
> My question to web4lib:
>
> Is it possible for university staff and students to access these
> services
> when not at a campus computer with university IP address?
>
> The vendors say that we (university staff and students) cannot access
> the
> product from our off campus homes or offices.
>
> I think that if our library pays $50,000 for access to a major
> vendor's
> product that members of the university community should be allowed
> remote
> access.
>
> Why can't a password and ID sign-on system work?
>
> One vendor wants even more money to implement such a signon system.
>
> What is the truth in this access business?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Lissa Lord                                   lissa-lord at uiowa.edu
> Team Leader, Research Services
> Information, Research, & Instructional Services (IRIS)
> University of Iowa Libraries
> 100 Main Library
> Iowa City, IA 52242                          319/335-5403
>
> It's like Deja Vu all over again...Y.Berra
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the Universite du Quebec a Montreal, we have set up a way to allow
these accesses for certain databases, and we are working to implement
the system for other databases.

We use the ID and Password of our OPAC as a means to verify that a user
is in fact part of the University community.

When a user accesses the database from a university computer, he has
automatic access. However, when a user accesses from a computer outside
the university, he is asked first to enter his OPAC ID and his password;
after validation, he is allowed to access the database. This system
works only for access through the WEB.

I am not familiar with the details of the system; what I know is that
users from the outside who are REGISTERED AS UNIVERSITY USERS of our
OPAC are automatically attributed a special University Internet address
which has a temporary duration (session limited to one hour, after which
period of time the connection simply closes and the address is dropped);
this address system is similar to the IP addresses allotted in a
SLIP/PPP connection (when somebody opens a SLIP/PPP connection with the
University, he is allotted an IP address which belongs to the
University, for the duration of the connection time).

--
 _________________
|                 |   Real Rodrigue
|     *** *** *** |   Services informatises
|    *** *** ***  |   Service des bibliotheques
|   *** *** ***   |   Universite du Quebec a Montreal
|  *** *** ***    |   Tel.: 514-987-3000 poste / extension 4554
|         ***     |   FAX : 514-987-7787
|        ***      |   Courrier electronique / E-Mail :
|_________________|         Rodrigue.Real at UQAM.CA

Page personnelle / Home page :
     http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/g17176/Real.html