barcode activation

David King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Tue Jul 15 11:19:11 EDT 1997

>We are looking for any technology that allows a public terminal to be
>activated with a bar code.  The terminal would then automatically
>shut itself off after a preset period of time.  Does it exist, and
>are any public libraries using something like this?  If it is commer-
>cially available, could we have the name of the vendor?
>Linda Koss
>Toledo Lucas County Public Library
>koss at tlc.lib.oh.us

We use GEAC Advance, and have a similar type thing set up.
Anyone can access our library catalog, but you have to have
a bar code in order to get to Firstsearch and the Wilson
databases. I don't know much about the set up, but I'm
pretty sure it's set up through the GEAC Advance software.

David King
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi
dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu